Company description and key facts
Founded in Evansville, Indiana in 1920, Springleaf Financial Services provides loans and other credit related products to more than half a million families in 26 states, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. We provide bill consolidation loans, personal loans, home improvement loans, loans for unexpected expenses and vacations. For 90+ years, Springleaf Financial Services has provided the personal lending products our customers need and when they need it.
Through our Personal Loan Referral Program, Springleaf Financial Services offers direct loans, driven by exceptional customer service, to applicants referred to us by a wide variety of businesses, both local and national. The program also provides a personal loan alternative to applicants referred to us by banks and credit unions.
- 2013 - Springleaf Holdings, Inc. completed its IPO and was listed on the NYSE under the symbol "LEAF"
- 2011 - Changed name to Springleaf Financial Services
- 2010 - Indirectly acquired by certain Fortress Investment Group managed funds
- 2009 - Completed Headquarters expansion building
- 2008 - Acquired over 126,000 Equity One customer accounts
- 2007 - Acquired Ocean Finance and Mortgages Ltd. (OFML), representing the
Company's debut into the international marketplace
- 2007 - Broke ground on Headquarters expansion building
- 2006 - Announced second major expansion of Headquarters building
- 2005 - Assets reach $25 billion
- 2001 - American General Corporation acquired by American International Group
- 1994 - Retail division is relocated to a newly constructed building on eastside
- 1990 - Private label retail program launched
- 1990 - Corporate name changed to American General Finance, Inc.
- 1988 - American General Finance branch operating name is used for the first time
- 1988 - Acquisition of Manufacturers Hanover Consumer Services, which expands
the company to more than 1,400 branch offices in 40 states, Puerto Rico
and the Virgin Islands
- 1983 - Major expansion of our headquarters building is announced
- 1983 - Acquisition of General Finance with 350 branches in 16 states
- 1982 - CrediThrift is acquired by American General Corporation
- 1979 - Receivables reach $1 billion
- 1972 - Opening of our 500th branch
- 1969 - Common stock is listed on New York Stock Exchange
- 1966 - Corporate name is changed to CrediThrift Financial Incorporated
- 1963 - First use of new operating names for our branch offices, CrediThrift of
America and CreditWay of America
- 1963 - Announcement of the construction of a new headquarters building in
- 1960 - Company stock is listed on the Over-The-Counter Market
- 1957 - Reached the milestone of opening our 100th branch
- 1943 - Acquisition of Evansville Morris Plan, which specializes in larger loans
- 1934 - Company expands across state line by opening branches in Owensboro
and Henderson, Kentucky
- 1930 - First branch office opened in Washington, Ind.
- 1929 - Interstate Agency formed to write credit-related insurance
- 1928 - Interstate granted a state license for making small loans
- 1920 - Interstate Finance Corporation founded in Evansville, Indiana, to
underwrite sales of Inland Motor Truck vehicles